Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My westie is 14 and has a little bit diarrhea and is

Customer Question

My westie is 14 and has a little bit diarrhea and is basically just laying around the house in different spots He seems very weak and tired and looked sad We have given him Boiled chicken and rice for the diarrhea and when I feed him the chicken he will eat it Doesn't seem too interested in it but he does eat it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Laddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Laddy?
Customer: No not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry Laddy is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has been lathargic and down in the dumps for 3 days. Eats boiled chicken pieces but slowly eats it. He has had some diarrhea also. No vomiting.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is he on any medications?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

4- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gums are pink. I can't take tempature. He will bite if I go near there.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry Laddy is lethargic and has diarrhea. In response to your question, diarrhea and lethargy can be caused by either disorder affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that Laddy is an older dog it is important to rule out a systemic disease. Common causes are kidney or liver disease, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination and some testing by a veterinarian. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, continue feeding him a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken. In addition, Pepto Bismol 1 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days. Follow up with your family veterinarian; if cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter