Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog chewed up a bottle of advil, I'm not sure how many

Customer Question

Hi! My dog chewed up a bottle of advil, I'm not sure how many were ingested.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Scout and he's almost 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scout?
Customer: No, he's healthy lab, probably about 60 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did he ingest this?

Is he showing any symptoms of illness at this time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think he ingested it within the last couple hours and he's not showing any symptoms yet. But i've read that symptoms can show days later and it's deadly. Is that true?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the information. If he ingested this in the past 2 hours, there is a chance you can at least get some of it out of his stomach. You can induce vomiting by giving 4 tablespoons (60 mls or 2 ounces) of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally). That does can be repeated once in 10 minutes if there is no vomiting. After vomiting (no matter if some pills came out or not), I would get him straight to your vet to get some base line blood work, start intravenous fluids and give activated charcoal to help bind the medication and prevent some of it from absorbing. If you don't think you can get him to vomit at home, just get him up to your vet immediately. It can take a few days to see problems associated with Advil toxicity in dogs. It can take that long to show significant kidney damage, so you want to be proactive in getting him treated to try to prevent that. It may not take as long to see signs of gastrointestinal upset, specifically as a result of stomach ulceration, so they will need to start him on stomach protectants ASAP as well. Without knowing exactly how much he ingested, it is difficult to predict the impact it may have on his system, so it is better to be safe than sorry. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Scout is doing and to see if you have any further questions.