Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Why my dog vomited a large amount of yellow mucous. Maltese

Customer Question

why my dog vomited a large amount of yellow mucous. Maltese
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Molly had a vomiting episode and you are wondering what may be the cause of this. Well vomiting is a pretty vague symptom of illness that has numerous causes. We can discuss some of these to see if we can perhaps rule some things out.

Now yellow vomit is called bile, and this is thrown up when the stomach is empty as it comes from lower down in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract)

When did Molly vomit and how many times?

Does Molly seem lethargic or depressed?

-Dr. H

Some causes of vomiting up bile are: pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), acid reflux disease, dietary indiscretion (eating something that didn't agree with her stomach), kidney, liver disease, etc.

So as you can see there are many many possible causes here. But there are steps you should take in making sure Molly is ok. I will await your response.

- Dr. H