Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I think my 7 pound yorkie ate acrylic from a nail filler

Customer Question

I think my 7 pound yorkie ate acrylic from a nail filler kit. The piece was dry, because he vomited it up, but he is still vomiting almost nonstop and also passed some dark blood through his bowels. Vet is not in until 9:00am EST. What can I do in the mean time?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Barkely. It sounds like his gastrointestinal tract is pretty upset. A small piece of dry acrylic from a nail filler kit wouldn't seem to be that bad of a situation. Could more have been eaten besides the piece brought up and and is causing an obstruction? That is on the list of rule outs. As far as the dark blood in the stools, if the stools look like strawberry / raspberry jam like consistency, then a situation called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is very suspect. This is a situation that isn't all understood yet. It basically is acute vomiting and diarrhea and one is very bloody. It typically responds decently to supportive care by your vet. The care that is needed is IV fluids and anti nausea medications to keep him hydrated. AS far as getting him to your vet, that is absolutely what is needed. There really isn't anything more you can do till you get there as pulling the food and water is what is needed. Nothing else orally will help as it will get vomited up. Try to keep him in a quiet spot where he can just rest till that 9 am EST time arises. You could take a picture of what the stools look like so you can show them too.