Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I'm wondering about Sunshine Ligustrum's toxicity to dogs.

Customer Question

I'm wondering about Sunshine Ligustrum's toxicity to dogs. Mine doesn't seem interested in it, but it was planted in our back yard before we got him, and we're considering putting it all behind a fence or pulling it out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley, age 5 months, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: between 12 and 13 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this isn't a plant we often see dogs chew, but in regards ***** ***** it can cause gut upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) when ingested. Otherwise, though quite rare, there have been reports about dog seating high levels of this plant species and developing weakness, wobbliness, elevation in heart rate, and collapse. Though again that would only occur if Harley ate quite a lot of this plant (unlikely if he has no interest in it).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.