Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

What do I do when my 8lb chihuahua was stung 2-3 times by

Customer Question

What do I do when my 8lb chihuahua was stung 2-3 times by yellow jackets this late morning? She didn't show signs until this evening. She's now vomiting and her face is swollen including get left eye.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me.

I am currently working on my response to your question. It may take just a few minutes. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I now consider this an emergency situation. Absolutely, when swelling is present, an ER vet trip is well worth it. They can administer a steroid shot which will help greatly and possibly resolve all the swelling!

I would strongly advise against taking a wait and see approach considering Cecilia is only 8 pounds and there is now visible swelling, which can progress in to the neck and compromise breathing.

You can give a 1/2 tablet of a benadryl antihistamine 25mg tablet. That's a dose of about 12mg which is still okay for a 8 pound dog. However, I really feel that benadryl, alone, is not sufficient. Definitely, worth the ER trip!

Good Luck!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

If you have benadryl liquid, it will typically say 12.5mg per 5ml on the bottle. If so, that means 2.5mg per ml. So, you would really want to give at least 4ml, or just round up to 5ml which is a teaspoon. The benadryl tablets are easier to work with. Wish I could do more, but I think the steroid treatment would work very fast to make her more comfortable.