Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

15 yr old Bichon to be in extreme pain. He had 6 teeth

Customer Question

15 yr old Bichon to be in extreme pain. He had 6 teeth removed a month or so ago, and recovered quickly and could eat again etc. He now had a bout of screaming, howling and rubbing his front paws on the sides of his mouth and rubbing his jowls side to side on the rug. We gave him his Medcam that was presribed for his osteoarthritis and he is resting comfortable. The sounds he made were unbelievable! Is it more bad teeth? Ears? It is of course after hours....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oscar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: He has had a few seizures in the last few years (that we are aware of) the vet says it's just old age or nothing than can be treated. We can look in his mouth and rub his jowls and there seems to be no tenderness. In fact, it calms him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Oscar is having pain tonight.

Were you able to examine his mouth while he was having his painful episode? Did he seem to be in pain when you have the Metacam? Has he eaten since the episode?

I would wonder about something stuck in his mouth (food kibble, stick, rock, hair, etc) that could have been jabbing into his gums. He may not be used to chewing with missing teeth yet. If you haven't examined his mouth yet, that could be really helpful.
Does this help? What questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Oscar tonight? Were you able to examine his mouth? Any more pain episodes?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda