Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I think my dog swallowed one of my meds she is completely

Customer Question

I think my dog swallowed one of my meds she is completely out of it now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Madison and she is 9 She is a golden retriever she weighs about 80 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Madison?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

What meds could she have ingested?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think it was Topamax there was one on the counter and its gone and she is so drowsy she can't walk she looks like she is completely drugged
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello is there anyone there?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Yup, I'm working on your answer now.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Topamax is pretty safe in dogs. It can cause a decreased blood pressure, lethargy and depression. It's unlikely to cause anything too serious, though.

Most dogs will be lethargic for 8-12 hours. Within 12-24 hours, the signs should completely subside. No specific treatment is needed.

I would check her gum color. If it looks pale, then I would worry about something else like a bleed in the abdomen. In that case, I would go to a vet asap as that can be life threatening. If the gums are pink, then I would just wait it out.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I appreciate your help. Gosh it scared me so much!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just asked the Dr. a questions about my Golden Retriver 80lbs. I thought she swallowed Topamax but it was Wellbrutin 150mg.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry I didn't see this. Wellbutrin is potentially more toxic, but I would expect agitation and excitation with a truly toxic dose. How is she doing today?