Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My puppy was bitten on the leg by another dog. It left a

Customer Question

My puppy was bitten on the leg by another dog. It left a puncture wound at the knee joint. It is swollen now and it hurts her so she won't let us touch it. We cleaned it and put a lite anteseptic on it. What else should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 7 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your puppy was bitten tonight.

Based on your description, I am very worried that the knee joint may have been punctured. If this is the case, the puppy needs to start antibiotics right away (like tonight) to prevent the joint from becoming infected.

Can you take the puppy to the ER tonight for an examination and to get her antibiotics?

If you aren't able to take her to the ER tonight, she must go see your regular vet first thing in the morning to start on antibiotics. You can apply an ice pack to the knee to reduce inflammation and this will help with pain as well.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am unable to take her tonight, however I can take her in the morning. We did try to put ice on it but she doesn't want us to touch it. She seems to be resting comfortably but has a little trouble putting weight on it.

Okay. Thanks for the added information. I would let her rest. I am not surprised that she is a little bit lame. Bite wounds are really painful.

Do you have any other questions?

How is your puppy doing now? I hope she is sleeping comfortably?

Dr. Amanda

How is your puppy's leg? Did you take her to the vet today? Did they put her on antibiotics?

Dr. Amanda