Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

She isn't acting normal, loss of appetite but drinking a lot

Customer Question

She isn't acting normal, loss of appetite but drinking a lot of water
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. What is her name? How long has she not been acting normal? How long has her appetite been absent? Is she still walking / interacting normal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Name is lilly. Was acting fine last night. Same with appetite. She is walking okay but couldn't jump into truck like she normally does
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I like that name! I have a 3 legged cat named Lill! Do you feel that she's breathing harder than normal or seeming more lethargic? Is she spayed? Has she had any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
More lethargic, no vomiting she is spayed
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Breathing with normal rate and effort?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Breathing is a little labored
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Do you feel her gums are nice and pink?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
with some dark spots. They have always looked like that
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm going to be honest here and say that with Golden's, when they are a little "off" and they are breathing with a little more effort, I do get more concerned than with some of the breeds. They are just that awesome breed as far as personalities that seem to come up with the most serious issues. At my ER, I've seen two cases similar to hers where they turned out to be abdominal masses that were bleeding into their bellies. One of the cases had nice pink gums and the other had really pale gums. If she's "off" that could be due to internal bleeding. It could be due to a heart issue. Both of these can come on pretty suddenly. I just don't like to assume that it is something not serious given her breed. I would have to recommend a physical with a veterinarian here tonight. Do you feel that this is possible?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help. We're going to get her to our local vet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

That is going to be the safest thing to do! I just again don't like to take chances with the Golden's. I'm hoping for the best.