Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 8 year old miniature schnauzer has developed black and

Customer Question

My 8 year old miniature schnauzer has developed black and crusted sores on his stomach and chest. They begin as red little bites. They do not seem to bother him. He also has one on the inside of his ear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear of this with your miniature schnauzer. You appear to be describing pustules that then spread out and form epidermal collarettes - roughly circular skin lesions that quiet down in the middle but can stay actively infected, inflamed and crusty on their rims. This is addressed with a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin dosed for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing in an antimicrobial shampoo twice weekly containing either benzoyl peroxide or chlorhexidine should hasten resolution of the skin infection (pyoderma).

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please call me
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I wish to remain with Dr. Michael Salkin without the telephone call.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I wish to stay with Dr. Salkin on this thread.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How would he have gotten this infection?

The responsible bacteria are his own Staph (usually) normally found on the skin. The integrity of the skin had to be altered by being soiled, an allergic dermatitis (important), hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, or perhaps immunosuppressive drugs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.