Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

He is almost 8. he has a fat mass on 1 hind leg,now both of

Customer Question

he is almost 8. he has a fat mass on 1 hind leg,now both of his hind legs ,he has a hard time going up 2 steps and trouble just walking. he is an inside dog.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: he doesnt seem to be in pain just cant walk right?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Do you have a video showing what you're seeing?
2) Has he had any diagnostics performed on his hips or back? X-rays?
3) What breed of dog is he?
4) Is he on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no,no,cocker spaniel and no medications.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how much longer? thanks

At 8 years of age, the first step would be an examination and diagnostics like x-rays on his hips and back. Any senior dogs can develop arthritis and it can cause major issues with them walking. Most of the time having arthritic dogs started on canine-safe NSAIDs works very well to give them back the ability to ambulate normally and without pain. You can also look at starting joint supplements like glucosamine chondroitin.

In a pinch, aspirin can be used to give relief to a painful pet as well. Aspirin does not come without risks of its own, so please be sure to read over the risks before dosing. More info here:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you told me nothing. thanks anyway.

What other help are you looking for? I've given you both information on what to do for your companion medically with your vet AND, alternately, what to do at home. If you can tell me what other assistance I can give you, I may be better able to help.