Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I have a Boston Terrier with allergies. Over the past year

Customer Question

I have a Boston Terrier with allergies. Over the past year she has gone through scratching her eye three times. This past time she took Remidyl for pain while her eye healed. That seemed to have irritated her feet as a side effect. In between her toes turned pink-to-red and if she didn't have her cone on, she would continually lick at her feet. After she came off of the Remidyl, we gave her Apoquel to help with the itching, but it really didn't help that much. We have tried soaking her feet in Iodine, or Epsom Salts, or a Vinegar/Hydrogen Peroxide mixture which helped in between her toes, but now between the pads on her feet are still looking bad, and she still wants to lick/chew on her toes if we don't have her cone on. We have used Temaril-P in the past for her itching which helped, but have not tried this for her feet, since we were told by our vet that the Apoquel was the latest and greatest thing. I quit giving her the Apoquel since that didn't help her itching feet, and might have even made them worse. Any thoughts as to something else we could try, since we don't want her to have to wear this cone for the rest of her life (we do take it off of her when we are holding her, taking her for a walk, when feeding her, or when we can watch her and keep her from licking her feet)?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

Poor Crissy, this sounds like a frustrating problem. Can you tell me a bit more? Has Crissy ever been on a special hypoallergenic diet trial? Is the problem area her feet or is she itchy all over?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have her regular allergies pretty much under control. She is on the Royal Canin Ultamino food which helped some. This issue with her feet just seemed to flair up once she had to take the Remidyl when she had her scratched eye, and it has not subsided ever after discontinuing that and trying the Apoquel. She is now not taking either of those, in case either or both of those aggravated her feet. At the moment, we have just tried soaking her feet 1-2 times per day with various things, but that has not really helped any. Our vet already checked to make sure her feet did not have any fungal or bacterial infection on her feet or between her toes. This licking of her feet is pretty much a new thing. She used to scratch her belly on the carpet and scratched her sides and back haunches, but once we got that somewhat controlled (partially with her always wearing a T-shirt), she did lick her feet some, but now she licks and chews on them almost all of the time when she doesn't have her cone on.

Thank you for the additional information. It is interesting that her issues flared up while on the rimadyl. I have not seen any dogs in my experience have a reaction to rimadyl involving foot irritation or licking, however, it is possible that she may have reacted to the flavoring if she has food sensitivities. If that were the cause of the flare up, the itchy feet should greatly improve over a few weeks. If not, it may be worth looking into intradermal and blood allergy testing to rule out an environmental cause. Otherwise, a course of steroids or topical steroid spray to the feet may provide more relief than the foot soaks.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Crissy. How is everything going?

Katie Volat