Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 9 year old pit and he caught distemper. The vet

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old pit bull and he caught distemper. The vet thought it was just a virus until weeks later he saw the chewing tick, his eyes were still passed and the head dip. He now says he has dry eye and put him on gabapentin to help calm kiss Jenkins and help him to sleep but it doesn't help the jerking. He has a tremendous appetite, still runs and plays with toys but sometimes after laying down he has a hard time getting up. He also has a bad knee that was to be repaired before the distemper. My question is what can my vet do for him. I've seen something called NVD spinal injection and wondered if it could help and the cost or maybe a different medication that would work. He doesn't seem to be in pain. Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your dog having distemper. Were any tests done to confirm this is distemper? I ask because it is unusual to see distemper in adult dogs. Had he never been vaccinated?

There are other things that can cause the symptoms you describe, such as meningitis, brain tumor, low thyroid, liver disease, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure.

If this is distemper, and it has gone to his brain, there is no known treatment. NDV (Newcastle Disease Virus, a disease of chickens) has been talked of, but disproven, as a treatment for distemper. It still persists on the internet as a treatment, but is not effective. One of the claims is that Newcastle Disease Virus is a morbillivirus, like distemper virus, and it isn't.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response. I have not heard back from you.

How is he doing? Can I answer any more of your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.
Hi Debra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Debrp. How is everything going?