Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog is suffering from some allergy that is causing

Customer Question

My dog is suffering from some allergy that is causing constant itching.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog is itching so much.

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially (to ensure you are administering the proper dose for him but you can also use claritin 0.25 mg/ pound daily as an alternative as some dogs simply don't respond to benadryl)
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. If needed allergy testing and a consideration of a medication called apoquel which works incredibly well to control the discomfort associated with itch in dogs (prescription only through your veterinarian).

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Hi Pat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pat Wines. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman