Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

She is having a hard time using her left paw, so I can't get

Customer Question

She is having a hard time using her left paw, so I can't get her to stand and drink water. Is there a way someone's figured out how to hydrate a dog who can't stank, other than IV? I"m waiting on her vet to call me about pain meds... she had her nails clipped (they were curling and wouldn't let me touch them - pugs!!) over the weekend by them, and she's been in pain since. Thanks for any suggestions.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about me?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. How old is she? What is her name? Is she still eating?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ling Li is almost 14, so old, but until this, lively, able to climb stairs, etc. I just fed her by hand, but she won't drink, even if if support her and hold her in front of the water dish.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Ling li is getting up there in age. Do you feel that she's been losing weight? Is she able to move all her legs? When you hand feed her, is she eating ok with that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's been stable for years at 25 lbs. She can move her legs, but the front left is gimpy. I've been carrying her from place to place today. Since she had the nails clipped, she's been wimpering, especially at night. She was able to stand to pee when I took her out a bit ago, and can limp, but getting up is hard to get up from lying down (leverage) and she turns away from the water dish. She ate all of her food when I hand fed it (shredded pork & carrots) but won't drink. She's wimpering a lot.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for all that good information about Ling Li. I'm going to be honest here and say that her not drinking may not be that bad of a situation right now. Usually if a cat is eating well, they are staying hydrated enough. They typically won't eat if they are dehydrated enough to cause them to be weak to not drink. If she wasn't eating at all, then this would be escalated. So, eating her food when helped, I'm not again as worried about the not drinking. She most likely will do this when she is finally thirsty enough. As far as her gimpy leg, that is something that there are no safe at home pain medications that you can use in a cat. Your vet can evaluate her and the make a decision as to what pain mediation they have on hand to use in this situation. Could she have just a soft tissue injury that needs time and supportive care to get her through this? Could it be some arthritis? These are considerations.