Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has really red yes, a red tongue, and now her nose

Customer Question

my dog has really red yes, a red tongue, and now her nose really dry and peeling off almost. She also has a patch of dry scaly bumps on top of her snout. Our vet has not given us any direction?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you upload a photo(s) of her face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not have one nor do I have access to get one????

I understand. Your vet needs to clarify why those skin changes are occurring. When the nose is affected in that manner, pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), autoimmune skin diseases such as the pemphigus complex and lupus erythematosus, fungal infection, and solar dermatitis are important differential diagnoses. Cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of the skin surface), bacterial and fungal cultures, skin scrapings, and biopsy of the skin might all be performed. Red eyes and tongue can suggest dehydration, sepsis (spread of in infection), or systemic inflammation.

If your vet doesn't know how to proceed, another vet should be consulted. You also have the option of having a specialist veterinary dermatologist (please see here: attend to your shepard. Please continue our conversation if you wish.