Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was diagnosed with cancer and was started on high

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with cancer and was started on high dose prednisone on day 3 now with diarrhea. Is that caused by the prednisone and if so what can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kodi 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kodi?
Customer: Just that she has cancer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What can I do for the diarrhea tonight till vet opens in am
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am very sorry to hear about Kodi's diagnosis.

In regards ***** ***** question, the steroids could be causing these signs. Though at the high doses we do use for cancer cases, we can also see diarrhea secondary to opportunistic infections. So you are right to have her seen once her vet is open.

In the meantime, there are a few steps we can take to approach this. To start, you can put her onto a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber, like canned pumpkin or all bran, can also be added to these meals to bulk up her stools quicker.

Otherwise, if she is very runny and as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI until her vet can determine if she is sensitive to the Prednisone or if we have an infection brewing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is taking the prednisone still and I got the vet to give me a script for Flagyl plus started PO doggie probiotics.
The vets unsure if it's leukemia Vs lymphoma. She's 14 were not doing chemo so mainly comfort measures.
Thanks so much for asking
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

If chemo isn't a consideration, then it is ok not to put Kodi through further testing to differentiate between the two (one essentially starts in the bone marrow and the other starts in the lymph nodes but then they spread to the other organ and blood). Especially as the palliative treatment is the same for both. So, its just a case of keeping her as happy and healthy as we can for as long as we can do so.

Best wishes for Kodi,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )