Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

Is there a safe procedur for me to ask for a tissue biopsy

Customer Question

HelloIs there a safe procedur for me to ask for a tissue biopsy on my dog that was diagnosed with Tcc. I mean I know that this kind of cancer seeds easily if disturbed, so I want to make sure I ask for the right thing. It has been two months since the diagnoses, but there was never a biopsy done, because of the fact that it can spread so easily. She also is on piroxicam and i am getting so nervous about side effects coming up soon. Is Medicam as good in your opinion
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I can help you this evening.

First, here is a link talking about TCC in dogs-

There are different ways to diagnose this cancer: The first one is just on a urinalysis. The cancer usually sheds cells quite readily and often there are cancer cells in urine caught in a cup. If there is not, the next best option is what is called a "traumatic catheterization." This is a little trickier in female dogs compared to males and may require sedation. A urinary catheter is placed in the urethra and moved back and forth into the bladder multiple times, all the while removing urine from the bladder. This will knock the cancer cells loose from the tumor. Neither of these procedures will cause seeding of the cancer cells to other parts of the body.

Piroxicam is the first choice for TCC but I have heard that Metacam (meloxicam) is also almost or equally effective.

Does this help?

What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Were you able to talk to your vet about possible tissue collection on your pup? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda