Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

I have been to my vet 4 times for this and another vet last

Customer Question

I have been to my vet 4 times for this and another vet last week for a second opinion. We had his teeth cleaned and 2 removed. 5 weeks later it started again. They say canines abscessed maybe or nose tumor and I need to take him to a specialist. I have already spent $700. bought a vaporizer to keep air in room moist, bought a nasal bulb...he was quiet and breathing well all day today and now sneezing blood. Found 4 spray spots on kitchen floor in last hour. I do not know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the canine's name?
Customer: Niles.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Niles?
Customer: He is 17 but very hearty appetite and both drs said healthy heart.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I can help you today. One more question- when your dog had his teeth cleaned, did they also take dental x-rays? This would have been very helpful to determine if one of his teeth is abscessed or not.

Based on your description, I think a dental abscess, nasal tumor or nasal foreign body is the primary possible causes of his symptoms.
How does he do with antibiotics? Does the discharge resolve?

For diagnostics, dental x-rays are imperative, sinus x-rays could helpful and an MRI of his head would be the gold standard.

A less expensive diagnostic test would be cytology of the nasal discharge to look to see if it is pus vs tumor cells.

Does this help? What questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda