Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 9~ year old pure bread cocker spaniel, Emma is throwing

Customer Question

Our 9~ year old pure bread cocker spaniel, Emma is throwing up a thick frothy white substance and a cocoa or latte brown liquid and she has a deep gagging cough almost like she's trying to get air or choking prior to throwing up but not always in relation to the throwing up--we are very worried. There has been no change in her diet and she just received a great report from her Vet last week at her check up and hair appointment. Very Worried,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Emma eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, her diet has been normal. She has thrown up all over her bed, all over the sun porch floor and is continuing to throw up. What should we do?
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: No.Last week her exam only showed a slight amount of tartar on her teeth that we will address at her dental exam. Otherwise, Dr. Harsha said she was perfectly normal for a cocker spaniel her age--she weighed 30 lbs, heart, lung, ears--everything, normal. She is struggling with this almost deep bronchial, gagging cough and sucking in air. She as thrown up four times since we began chatting!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry that Emma is vomiting. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any abdominal swelling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No! We are not aware of Emma getting into anything out of the ordinary. She has played in our backyard--a place she frequents all the time and she has been hanging out on her favorite memory foam mattress on the sun porch. Nothing out of the ordinary-- no new foods, nothing other then this horrible cough and the vomit.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She won't let me rub her tummy. Nor will she let me near her belly or her back legs or abdomen, I don't know if she is swollen in that area

I know you are worried because Emma is vomiting, I am sorry. In response to your question, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. If she appears to be in distress or uncomfortable I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your family veterinarian in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter