Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I have a 11 week old mini dachshund, and he wont eat. He'll

Customer Question

I have a 11 week old mini dachshund, and he wont eat. He'll drink water that's it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dachshund?
Customer: he wont eat anything....
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Oscar
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: We just brought him home from NYC to WI, and he was traveling yesterday. He ate on Saturday night, and had vomiting and a little diarrhea., I took him for his first wellness visit and he gave me some soft food to try, but he is completely disinterested. Walks away from the dish.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

Can you tell me a bit more about Oscar? Did he get a fecal test at the vet? Has he had any vaccinations yet?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is up to date on his vaccinations, and I couldn't get a fecal because he hasn't had a bowel movement since yesterday.
He had no fever, and the doctor said he looked ok, except he's a little under weight, he's about 3lb 6oz.

Thank you for the additional information. It is possible that Oscar is taking time to adjust to his new environment. The travel from NYC to WI at such a young age can be hard and stressful for puppies. Often times, it can affect their appetite. If the vet just examined him and found him to be in good shape, it may be that he needs extra TLC right now. You can encourage him to eat over the next couple of days, but if any further vomit or diarrhea occurs, I suggest taking him back to the vet for some tests to ensure nothing is being missed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!! :)

You're welcome. Congratulations on the new addtion. I hope his appetite improves quickly!

All the best,

Dr. KV