Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My westie has a tooth infection can I give him penicillin? I

Customer Question

my westie has a tooth infection can I give him penicillin? I have penicillin v potassium 500 mg. If I can can I break these tablets down for a smaller dose Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack, aged 11 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: this seems to be his only problem, the infection has found a way to drain out of the corner of his eye
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Yes, penicillin is generally well-tolerated and appropriate for infections in the mouth. Penicillin V isn't commonly prescribed for dogs but can be administered extra-label at 5 mg/lb every 8 hours for a minimum of 7 days. Please note that any antibiotic will be palliative only when a dental root abscess is present. The tooth needs to be extracted for Jack's clinical cure. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?