Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was diagnosed with Tcc on June 30 of this year. She

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with Tcc on June 30 of this year. She only had an ultrasound, and they said a mass showed. She did not ever have a tissue biopsy or anything. Also she had an open pyo. At this time. She has been spayed now but has not had another ultra sound. The question had always been nagging me why she did not have a biopsy to confirm the Tcc diagnoses. Should an ultra sound always be done. I know that possibly an inflamed bladder could show up as a mass, and may be mistaken? also I do have two more questions, can I ask now, or do these need to be individual payments
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, in regards ***** ***** question about questions, any new topics (ie new pets, new health issues, etc) outside the one you have posted above would need to be opened as a new question/payment.

That aside, if Bailee's mass was only diagnosed by ultrasound, there is a small chance that it could have been misdiagnosed. So, while the TCC is the primary and most common tumor type of the bladder; it is possible that a severe cystitis with bladder wall thickening could appear similarly. Therefore, if you did want to confirm this a repeat ultrasound could be considered and an ultrasound guided aspirate could be performed to harvest cells from the mass to identify it. Alternatively, since this is a tumor type that tends to slough cells into the urine, a urine sample could be collected by her vet for analysis at the vet lab. If tumor cells are found, it would confirm your concerns. And it could be checked at the same time for other issues (ie severe cystitis, urinary crystals or bladder stones eroding the bladder). Finally, if she is confirmed to have a TCC, do speak to her vet about Piroxicam if she isn't being treated already. This medication has been found to reduce tumor size and can be of benefit if this is confirmed as a TCC.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )