Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

My Chihuahua has a growth on her face under her eye I'm

Customer Question

My Chihuahua has a growth on her face under her eye I'm afraid it might be an abscess and I really don't have the money to take her to a vet can you help me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Baby Girl's troubles. Growth's on the face can have a number of causes including abscesses, bee stings or tumors. Abscesses usually occur because of an infected tooth root and appear as a firm swelling in the bony tissues of the face. They usually appear pretty suddenly and the dog typically doesn't feel very well on top of it. Antibiotics and a dental are the best treatments, but somethings you can try at home are placing a warm compress over it for 10-15 minutes several times a day. Moist heat works the best, ***** ***** rice bag or other moist heat rather than a heating pad.

You can also soften her food with a little water to make it more comfortable to chew and try brushing her teeth or using some other form of dental cleaner or water additive to help remove tartar and bacteria from the rest of the mouth.

If she seems to be in a lot of pain, you can give her aspirin. The dose is one baby aspirin per 7lbs body weight once to twice a day. Do not exceed 3 days.

If the lump gets bigger, becomes warm, or Baby Girl starts to feel worse, it would be time take her to a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!