Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 70lb lab puppy just ate 2mg of Ativan! Bubba, No

Customer Question

My 70lb lab puppy just ate 2mg of Ativan!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bubba
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bubba?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily this is within the dose range for use of this medication in Bubba's size. At 70 pounds (32 kg) the dose is 0.6 - 6 mg for fears, anxiety, phobias.

In small animals, benzodiazepines can cause increased appetite, aggression, increased activity/excitement, and vocalization within this dose range so please monitor for these symptoms. With initiation of therapy, dosage increases, or at higher dosages, ataxia, somnolence and lethargy can occur.

So I suspect Bubba will simply sleep well tonight and be back to normal by morning but always best to know what to monitor for.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 10 minutes this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks

Good afternoon, I hope you were able to view my responses last night. How is your Lab? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!