Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

6 year old frenchie. a year ago he lost use temporarily of

Customer Question

6 year old frenchie. a year ago he lost use temporarily of back legs but regained it after rest but was never the same. About 2 wks ago his back legs started to go fast and then his front legs 4-5 days ago. Now he has no use of legs, is urinating without moving and hasn't made a stool in 4 days. vet has told us either a) $400 for blood work and xrays tests to assess if he may be a 5% diagnosis or $2k for MRI then 3-8k for back surgery to address the 95% diagnosis. Agree with this or have other ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I think you are stuck. The initial diagnostic tests are critical to try and get a understanding on what is going on. At the minimum, basic blood testing and x-rays could yield some good prognostic information, if Neo can be easily fixed or not.

The MRI recommendation makes sense, because I do not doubt the vet is concerned about a disc herniation somewhere in the spine. With all 4 legs being impacted, the spine could be impacted either in the neck, or possibly in two different locations.

I cannot disagree with the assessment based on your description of what is going on and the financial figures you have been quoted are reasonable.

Very sorry about this tough situation but I hope the second opinion helps.