Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog is bleeding around the rectal area not directly in

Customer Question

My dog is bleeding around the rectal area not directly in the rectum. I cannot afford to take him to the vet. Should I just clean it and keep it clean ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: I have a 10 year old Chihuahua male and he is bleeding around his butt area. He is still playfull and still has an appetite as normal. What can it be and what should I do?
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He is "not" neutered.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me.

I am currently working on my response to your question. It may take just a few minutes. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Well, if you see a wound "next to" his rectum, it is quite possibly (as a guess only and not based on examination) a ruptured anal gland.

There are glands, just inside the rectum, that produce a liquid substance when a dog defecates. Sometimes, these glands get impacted and can rupture creating a draining wound next to the rectum.

Even if you can't afford testing at a vet, still get to a vet.

Many vets offer a courtesy examination to new clients. Take advantage of it. It is likely the gland needs to get flushed out and he get started on some basic antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. The cost to treat could be kept minimal, but don't assume you can't afford the visit. Remember, you can decline whatever you can't do. But, you need the diagnosis and the exam in order to get the medications.

Hope that information helps