Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

French bulldog 6 years old. he's lost all use of legs,

Customer Question

French bulldog 6 years old. he's lost all use of legs, urinating on himself and wont eat. Hasn't made a stool in 4 days. will only eat watered down food that is blended we are beside ourselves.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: its his back and disc or spine from what vet has told us
JA: What is the French bulldog's name?
Customer: is this a joke?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the French bulldog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your dog. How long has he been like this? Is he able to move his legs at all, even if he cannot support his weight with them? Has the vet put your pup on any medications? Has your vet discussed surgery with you?

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello? Are you online to discuss your dog?

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your dog's condition but I think that the best thing to do for him would be to take him to a 24 hour emergency clinic and speciality hospital. If he truly has a ruptured disk in his neck, he will need surgery to relieve the compression on his spinal cord and return to normal function. However, not all paralysis is caused by spinal cord compression and other things such as a congenital malformation, meningitis (inflammation of the brain and spinal cord), tick bites, an infection of the cervical vertebrae or a condition called a fibrocartilagenous embolism can cause the signs that you are describing. Since some of these are surgical problems and some are not, your dog should be evaluated by a neurologist (or someone experienced in neurology) to determine what the next diagnostic steps are and what should be done about it. Imaging of the neck and spinal cord is typically done with MRI or CT and these are not available at a general practice hospital as you need expertise in running the machine as well as interpreting the image for it to be useful.

Without further information, the best recommendation I can make is to find your nearest speciality clinic that is open 24 hours and take him there. They will be able to evaluate him and determine if a neurologist or surgeon needs to be called in and they will be able to provide appropriate supportive care in the meantime including pain management, walking him with sling support, exercises to keep his muscles in good shape and placing a temporary feeding tube if he is not eating on his own as well as placing an IV catheter and putting him on IV fluids to help treat or prevent dehydration. Does this make sense to you and was I able to answer your concerns tonight? Can I clarify anything? If you need help locating your local 24 hours speciality clinic, please let me know.

Dr. Ellie