Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

She is a VERY healthy, 14 1/2 year old boxer. Has the runs

Customer Question

she is a VERY healthy, 14 1/2 year old boxer. Has the runs every 8 days or so, like clockwork. Never eats the day before. But 3 am, walked into bathroom to a room full of ick. 2 days since she has eaten. Still energetic. Drinking/resting well. HORRIBLE vet-phobia....(abused rescue dog at 11) would like to treat at home if I am able.....(had a ruptured anal gland @ 6 mos. ago-healed well...)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nikki. She is on Blue wilderness/grain free. Bison only. Seems to react to diaetary stimulus, so I am careful.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nikki?
Customer: No. Well....has a pattern of baldness on haunches. 3 years. No smell, no change with antibiotics. It doesn't bother either one of us....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Amber Hinson replied 1 month ago.

Hello. So sorry Nikki is having this issue. If the diarrhea is something she cannot hold until she gets outside and is making a mess in the house you can give ONE dose of human Immodium - one 2mg tablet by mouth. Dogs are really sensitive to immodium so only give one dose. I would also recommend feeding a bland diet - like boiled chicken and rice for the next few days. She may have some mild inflammatory bowel disease or she could also have a food allergy/sensitivity. Even though Blue Wilderness Bison is a good food, it may not particularly agree with her. Dogs can eat the same diet and then seemingly all of a sudden become sensitive to it.

The "baldness" you describe on the haunches is common in Boxers. It's called flank alopecia. Nothing to really worry about.

I hope this was helpful. If you have more questions just let me know!