Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have an 8 year old terrier mix who is diabetic. He has had

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old terrier mix who is diabetic. He has had diarrhea for a ittle over 24 hours I have given him Pepto Bismisal last night. The diarrhea is yellow and very runny. About 3 I gave him some boiled hamburger and rice. He ate it right down. He has had a little of his dry dog food. He does not refuse water or food. He had his last insulin shot at 7:00 p.m. His diarrhea episodes are about 3 hours apart. I see no blood in the stool. I am concerned that he is not keeping anything in his stomach and has had his insulin. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Kasey is having diarrhea this weekend. I am really glad to hear that he is still eating and drinking, though, that means that he will recover quickly with medications from your vet.

For tonight, since he is having such rapid transit of his food out of his intestines, I would recommend feeding him frequent meals throughout the night. In the morning, if he is still having diarrhea, give him only a half-dose of insulin, continue to feed him and take him to your vet so they can get him medications for the diarrhea.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Kasy tonight? How is the diarrhea? Were you able to take him to the vet today?

Dr. Amanda

Hi Phylis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kasy. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda