Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

He is making choking noises and retching like hes gonna puke

Customer Question

He is making choking noises and retching like hes gonna puke but nothing comes out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, but we were at the dog park today where there was lots of bark and last time we went camping he puked up a bunch of small sticks So I'm worried he ate some bark when I was out of sight
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me his age/ breed as well as whether his abdomen looks swollen at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's a 1.5 year old labradoodle. I don't think his abdomen is swollen at all.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He stopped choking, and is sleeping on his bed now.

OK thank you, ***** ***** wanted to be assured this was not bloat (GDV) which is an emergency

First, please remove the water. Since there has been continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting/ retching, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting/ retching continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He didn't actually puke. He was retching, but nothing ever came up.

Yes I understand, but with these symptoms we want to avoid anything in the stomach for a period of time so that this isn't repeated or we don't end up with actual vomiting

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today