Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Matt, I have a 5 month old Coton de Tulear puppy and he's

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Matt,
I have a 5 month old Coton de Tulear puppy and he's started coughing/hacking and sometimes throws up a little. I think the throw up is more from him coughing so much. I'm not sure if he swallowed some stuffing from a toy. We took the toy away as soon as we saw he tried to eat it. The coughing bouts are intermittent but he is doing it about every 10 to 15 minutes. He is eating and drinking and walking outside with no issues. I thought this may be kennel cough but wasn't sure if we should take him to the vet due to the frequency of his coughing. He has recently finished all of his puppy immunizations. We also have another dog, a leonberger who has not been coughing or having any issues.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your puppy. If he has been exposed to other dogs 3-10 days ago - the incubation period for infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), that infection is, indeed, the most likely reason for his coughing/hacking/gagging up. You can carefully open his mouth widely and look down into his throat for foreign material but it's unlikely that you'll find any; when foreign material is lodged, my patient is pawing at his mouth even to the point of trying to get a paw inside the oral cavity. Persistent drooling and a very distressed pet is seen. In the great majority of cases, kennel cough is self-limiting within a couple of weeks. Antibiotics are elective because they may shorten the course of the infection by a day at best. Severe coughing, however, needs to be controlled and that's done with narcotic antitussives (anti-cough drugs). Over the counter cough medications aren't reliably efffective and should be avoided. A teaspoon of honey every few hours is likely to be more helpful than anything you can purchase over the counter.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?