Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Having a flare up of a hip problem. I have previcox at home,

Customer Question

having a flare up of a hip problem. I have previcox at home
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Holding up her back left leg. SHe has had this in the past. IT seems to flare once every few years.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes. Ill look again I though her stomach was upset so I gave her a pepcid. But I think her leg is bothering her. She has had this before
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: trix and she is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about trix?
Customer: No real medical history. She is part lab and they say they are prone to leg and hip problems.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Trix is not feeling well, was the previcox previously prescribed for her? If she has some stomach upset I would be hesitant to administer the previcox until we know she is feeling better as this can lead to further gi upset

Are you inquiring about a dose on the previcox, whether it is alright to administer with an upset stomach, or is it expired?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wondering if previcox will help pain flare up. In the past usually when she acts weird it is her stomach so that's why I tried Pepcid earlier. Then when I came in from church she was holding her left rear leg up. Not putting weight on it.

So as long as she is not having any vomiting, diarrhea, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) then it should be fine to administer the previcox as well as limiting activity, massage up/ down the leg and rotating warm compresses on the leg in 10 minute intervals to provide relief. If there is no change in the next few days, however, please consider an examination

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!