Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My sheltie is showing signs of a utility. Is there anything

Customer Question

My sheltie is showing signs of a utility. Is there anything I can give her to make her more comfortable until we can get to her vet tomorrow.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Pacing, seeking me out, going in and out to yard and urinating or trying to several times in a row.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Seems to be a bladder pyroblem
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy, five years, sheltie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with urination.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the increased straining to urinate.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the straining to urinate to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything that I can give her to make her more comfortable.

The only safe over the counter pain medication is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

It is contraindicated if there is any suspicion of bleeding with the urination however

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Hi Deborah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman