Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I sent a question last night about my dog. He had been

Customer Question

I sent a question last night about my dog. He had been attacked the night before by a big dog and now has a terrible odor coming from his wounds. The odor is getting worse. I really cannot afford a trip to the emergency center, I'm trying to hold off until the morning. However, the smell is getting worse even with taking the Cephl
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it normal for the smell to be worsening even with the antibiotic
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Eddie has gotten injured....Poor guy!! Ye,s it is normal for the wounds as they heal, to have a terrible odor. This comes from the fact that the damaged tissues need to come out in the form of pus and this creates this terrible odor, even with the antibiotics on board. If there is a discharge coming from the wounds, clean this off every 4-6 hrs with Betadine, available at the pharmacy over the counter. This will help remove this discharge that must come out before the healing process can begin. This will help decrease this odor and help Eddie's body heal. You are doing everything you can for it is up to his body.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it does.

You are very welcome....don't are doing great for your sweet Eddie!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Eddie. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta