Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have an 11 year old basset hound. He is exhibiting the

Customer Question

Hello. I have an 11 year old basset hound. He is exhibiting the signs he is having significant back pain (he's had surgery in the past for a slipped disk - I have come to understand the signs of his back discomfort over the years). Usually he takes 300 mg of Gabepentin a day and 50 mg of carprofen when needed. This morning he seemed extra uncomfortable, so I had some expired tramadol which i gave him (2) 50 mg pills (i figured it was better than nothing). I am wondering is it ok for me to also give him 50 mg of carprofen? I am out of gabapentin and cannot get a refill until tomorrow morning when the vet is open.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your Basset is having such significant discomfort.

If he is 50 pounds then you can administer the 50 mg carprofen every 12 hours with food but if he is 25 pounds then the 50 mg is only once daily with food. It is not contraindicated to administer carprofen with tramadol and you can repeat the tramadol every 8 hours today to provide additional relief.

Lastly, rotating warm and cool compresses on the back/ shoulders/ neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow and light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!