Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

10 yr. old male shepherd/lab mix 80 lbs. Started acting

Customer Question

10 yr. old male shepherd/lab mix 80 lbs.
Started acting anxious on Fri. and pacing. Heavy panting but eating and having bowel movements and urinating.
Seem sore in the abdomen and avoids contact to the area but no signs of severe pain. When the abdomen is pressed slightly the back legs tremble.
Anxiety increased through Saturday and paced through out the night.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Sam is not feeling well. This heavy panting tells us that he is in pain of some form. This anxiety tells us that Sam is uncomfortable.

Most likely Sam has suffered an injury to a disc in his back or has aggravated an already present arthritis. This is very common in older shepherds because of their conformation. Since Sam does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Sam jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Sam is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc or decrease the inflammation from the arthritis. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine sweet Sam to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Tom,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta