Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We are considering getting 2 dogs. We had 2 dogs before.

Customer Question

We are considering getting 2 dogs. We had 2 dogs before. Sadly, our beloved doggies perished in a house fire earlier this year. We are at an apartment for a few months while the house is being rebuilt. We like shiscons and mini or toy ausiepoos and would like to get one of each. Do you have advice as to the timing of getting the dogs. We think its best to get 1 female and 1 male. Do you agree? We also want to know, should we get the male or female first. Lastly, how long should we wait till we bring the second dog in, is there an optimum window in which to introduce a second dog? Should the dogs be introduced at roughly the same time? Or, is it preferable to keep both dogs the same breed and take siblings from the same litre. Please let us know your best advice. I greatly appreciate you time.Kind regards,
Mike and Carla
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that you lost you two dogs in a house fire; how absolutely heart breaking for you and your family:(

I frequently advise owners to have two dogs at one time for a number of different reasons so I'm glad you're planning of getting two more.

What age are you thinking about? Puppies?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, I have to step away from my computer for a bit to help a neighbor who has health issues. When I log back on, I'll be happy to respond to your questions.

My apologies for the inconvenience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be is acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.

If you'd prefer a phone conversation, please let me know and I'll opt out of this question. Not all experts will accept phone calls so I'm not sure how long you might have to wait for a call. Deb