Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

5 year old male Weim... sudden onset multiple pustules on

Customer Question

5 year old male Weim... sudden onset multiple pustules on his back feet... oozing,,,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sarge :)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sarge?
Customer: He has a history of benign cysts that seem to self resolve, i.e. rupture, drain, and heal with no complications
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are some dogs that can be prone to these which are staph infections. The staph bacteria is normal flora on their skin and when they have a suppressed immune system, these will overgrow and cause pustules such as you describe. Also, this area between the toes will be warm and if your guys licks at these, this is the perfect environment for the staph bacteria to grow. I suspect that your guy has inherited a suppressed immune system which can be common in the purebred breeds. The treatment is to apply Betadine, available at the pharmacy over the counter and then place a wrap on your guys feet so that he cannot lick them. Your vet can prescribe antibiotics specific for this bacteria but usually the Betadine is enough to get your guy over this. Take him to your vet if this is not enough.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****