Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a poodle schnauzer mix he's 9 years old. Presently

Customer Question

I have a poodle schnauzer mix he's 9 years old. Presently feeding him Blue Basics. With turkey and potato. He breaking out all over. The bag says its for sensitive skin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Snoopy is breaking out.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Breaking out (is it a rash? Itching?) is often a sign of an allergic reaction. It could be to something in the environment (pollen, mold, dust) or to a specific food ingredient (usually a meat protein).

Sensitive skin dog foods contain supplements to help protect the skin, but are not hypoallergenic. If, as an example, Snoopy has developed an allergy to chicken, and there is chicken in the food, he will react to it. Usually food allergies mostly affect the face, ears, and anal area but not always.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

It might be a pollen that is in the air right now. You could try Benadryl; how much does he weigh? You can give 25 mg to a 25 pound dog, 3 times daily.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.
Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snoopy. How is everything going?