Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog ate a lot of raw wild salmon skin the last two days..

Customer Question

Hello, My dog ate a lot of raw wild salmon skin the last two days.. I had no idea it was poisonous to dogs. He has vomited 4 or 5 times tonight. .A salmon chunks in it. He is currently wanting to stay very close to us and looks lethargic and sad Is it good that he is throwing it up now or do I need to take him in?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: Yes... I actually fed it to him not knowing it was deadly. My father had brought home some fresh wild salmon and while cleaning them, we cut the skin in smaller pieces for our dog (16 lbs) to eat
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Not that I know of. He is a mix.. Alaskan klee kai with chihuiahua. He is super active usually and very healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is he still bringing up Salmon chunks days after eating it?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Today is day 2 since eating it. He seems much better this morning. His tail is wagging again and he seems to have his energy back.He ate his breakfast this morning, but we haven't seen him drink much water yet.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should we look out for the next several days? Or do you think he is out of danger?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now it is important to know that not all raw salmon is toxic to dogs. Raw fish can cause GI upset (causing vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) and can carry nasty bacteria but where the risk comes in is if the raw fish was contaminated with parasites carrying Neorickettsia helminthoeca. This is the microorganism that causes "salmon poisoning" in dogs. When it does, we see GI upset as well but what we'd want to monitor for is any signs of fever (if you can check a rectal temperature or he feels warmer then usual), weakness, enlarged/swollen lymph nodes.

If we aren't seeing those changes and he is seeming better, then we can plan to keep a close eye but treat for general gut upset over the weekend. To do so, you can put him onto small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, since his lack of drinking thus far is likely related to lingering nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If you do this and he completely settles, we are happy. Though any of those other signs and we'd want a check up with his vet and a stool sample to check for this agent. If it is present, anti-nausea medication can be started by injection and treatment for this infectious agent started to clear this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.