Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

4 yr old Labradoodle crying out in pain. Moping and won't

Customer Question

4 yr old Labradoodle crying out in pain. Moping and won't jump up on bed or couch. Not tender to touch anywhere
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our fear is that it's either a tooth problem or food or rawhide lodged somewhere
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

A rawhide can cause an obstruction of the bowel and with that you would see sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, Diarrhea, and lethargy.

With a bad tooth you would also see a lack of interest in food, likely pawing at the mouth or rubbing the mouth. You can check the mouth for any sign of discoloration around the teeth and gums as well as do a finger sweep and feel if there is an lumps, ulcers or abscesses .

The fact that he will not jump on the furniture leads me to think there is something going on in a disc either in the spinal area or the neck area, or there is a possibility of pain from a tick borne disease such as Lyme disease.

I would keep him well rested, with the only activity going out for potty reasons, and you can try giving some aspirin for pain. I will put a link for dosing and precautions below. This should not be given for more than a couple of days tops or stomach ulcers can become a problem. See your Vet for a safer anti inflammatory medication.

Here is information on disc issues in dogs. If at any time the dog seems to drag the legs you need to see a Vet immediately

aspirin dosing

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Shelley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?