Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 8 year old mixed dog has been coughing, having

Customer Question

Hi our 8 year old mixed dog has been coughing, having difficulty swallowing, and is having some rough sounding breathing, especially during exertion. I tried some benedryl thinking it could be allergies but it hasn't seemed to help. Being Saturday night I'm not sure what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucky.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has Lucky had these signs?

What dose of Benadryl did you give? How much does he weigh?

Was it a harsh, hacking, or soft cough?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?