Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog was attacked last night by a larger dog. Couldn't

Customer Question

Our dog was attacked last night by a larger dog. Couldn't get him to the vet, and now there is a horrible "dead animal smell" coming from the area he was bitten!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: I couldn't tell because I came home later and couldn't move him, but it didn't seem to be a lot of blood. My husband came home and carefully gave him a bath and gave him some antibiotics
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Eddie and old! I think 14 or 15 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eddie?
Customer: He's shaking and is having a hard time walking. He has been up twice.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Eddie was injured. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where is the wound located?

2- Any discharge?

3- Is he eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Toward the rear; no discharge that I can see a little blood and a lot of odor; drinking some and eating a little
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Only after enticement for med...Soaked a piece of bread in bacon grease to slide a pill in!

1- What is the name of antibiotics your husband is giving? Milligrams and how often?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cephalexin 500 mg

1- How much does your dog weigh?

2- How often is getting Cephalexin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
45-50 lbs. we only have 4 or 5 pills and we've only given him one so far

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

I am sorry that Eddie is injured, I know how difficult this must be for you to see him in this condition. In response to your question, as you may already know it is likely for the wound to be infected if it has a bad odor. When dealing with bite wounds we may be misled because the wound may only have a small puncture hole on the surface yet there is a big dead space created underneath. In this case, I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can to evaluate the wound, he may need some drains placed. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick the wound if he does pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at the wound.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day. Do Not use peroxide.

3- Continue on Cephalexin 500mg every 12 hours.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter