Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

5 day old puppy not eating from mom or bottle, no name yet,

Customer Question

5 day old puppy not eating from mom or bottle
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: no name yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about yet?
Customer: losing weight because no food, just sleeping
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the puppy is a Pomeranian and the mom only had 1 puppy. Been very active prior to last 15 hours and now noticed mom was putting dog off to side.. Puppy wont eat from mom and trying to bottle feed but wont latch. Puppy weght was 80 grams 1.5 days ago and now only 70 grams today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has this pup been off feeding?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking or vomiting?

Any diarrhea?

Does it seem keen to eat but just cannot latch?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
day and half.
gagging when we feed him with bottle
no diarrhea
doesn't latch for long at all.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is less active and just wants to sleep. seems weaker since not eating much. We have don't a petty good job today of making him eat. 2 days ago he his weight was 80 grams, this morning down to 70 grams. Now after force bottle feeding he's gained 5 grams in 12 hours. How long before he gets stronger?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

If we have gagging, there would be a concern of possible gut upset and nausea for this little one. Often this will put them off eating for us and can cause the signs you have reported. And as the appetite loss continues, we can see them quickly become hypoglycaemic and start to develop weakness, issues maintaining their temperature, lethargy, and then collapse.

Still its good to hear that you have pushed food and he has ate ok. We need to keep that up (but of course with care since we don't want him to vomit or aspirate). Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** and his energy, we'd want to give him a boost since the lapse in appetite and likely ongoing gut upset (which could be bacterial or viral and tapping energy as the immune system fights it) will be taking a toll. If he was 100%, then usually they do regain strength in 24-48 hours. But here we'd want to supplement. TO give him a blood sugar boost, you can carefully rub a sugary syrup (ie karo, glucose, pancake syrup, etc) on his gums. This will get that blood sugar up and hopefully get him perked up too. As well, if he is chilly, do consider carefully using a heating pad with him. Of course, do keep a close eye since we don't want him to overheat. And further to the milk feeds, you can offer or mix in Pedialyte to replenish electrolytes and just dissolve any clots of milk replacer that could be in the gut and playing a role in his upset.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.