Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog has matted hair on his legs and under him and he gets

Customer Question

my dog has matted hair on his legs and under him and he gets really scared when we try to remove what can help to make him relax
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No he doesn't have a wound just scared and tries to run and hide
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chewy and he's about 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chewy?
Customer: He will try to like bite at us
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Chewy doesn't want the mats removed from his legs. This can be a scary experience for dogs and changing how they think about it can be tricky.

First, what type of hair cutting device are you using on his legs? Dog clippers, horse clippers, human beard trimmers, scissors or are you just trying to brush the mats out?

Does he accept a groomer trimming his hair? Sometimes dogs are more cooperative with someone who isn't their owner.

If you are unable to take him to a groomer, the next thing to try would be distraction. I would also recommend using either very quiet dog clippers or human beard trimmers as these are very quiet and will not pull the hair or make a loud noise. While you are just touching his legs, feed him small spoonful's of peanut butter or small bits of cheese. This will make the leg touching experience more pleasant. Slowly increase the touching of the legs to touching with the clippers turned off and then turned on, all the while giving treats. This may take a few months to acclimate him to this procedure.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda