Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Drooling, and snorting alot. had ultrasound on stomach and

Customer Question

drooling, and snorting alot. had ultrasound on stomach and neck and normal. he also eats well and is going to the bathroom normal. its just the sweating and drool and looks as though he is having trouble drinking water but is drinking....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: trotter, 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about trotter?
Customer: do you think i should get a chest xray? i had a blood test too that was normal. calcioum a litle high
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Trotter is having drooling and snorting.

You described that he looks like he is having trouble drinking but water appears to be getting in. Does he have any trouble getting his food in his mouth? Does he drop his kibble or have trouble picking it up? Does he have any change in his facial appearance, like his lips are droopy or his eyelids are droopy?

Did your vet open his mouth and examine it closely? Did he look for tumors in the mouth, dental disease, or foreign material stuck in the mouth?

Does Trotter also have a voice change? Does his bark sound different?

A chest x-ray could be helpful if you are looking for megaesophagus or a tumor in the neck area.

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you and Trotter today.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Last weekend his bark was hoarse, sound difficult to come out. The vet did look in mouth and seemed ok. Water is going in but not as much. (Drinking). He is eating fine. But drooling while eating. It seems he is sweating today inside although it is very hot here. But air is on. He did have droopy eyes but vet said he had conjunctivitis and has been getting drops. He is taking Pepcid for his stomach. The water bowl is full of saliva and bubbles from saliva There is foamy coming out after walk. He appears to have more energy than last weekend when he was very lethargic.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If they did an ultrasound of neck wouldn't it show a tumor. Vet did look down mouth and said it wasn't red glands but couldn't see all the way down. The vet said if I was concerned this weekend to take to emergency. I think he is conserved s little although we can't figure it out.

Okay. Thanks for the added information. This is really helpful.
I would strongly consider the chest x-ray to look for megaesohpagus.

I also would potentially consider a test for Myasthenia gravis. It can cause megaesophagus as well as a voice change.

Here is a link-

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1544

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello- thanks for asking. Not well. I ended up taking him to vet hospital. We ran a battery of tests and everything came back normal then they watched him drink and eat. Notice a neuroligical problem and took an Mri. It's a brain tumor so he is home resting. I don't think the steroids are helping. We are very sad and I'm giving the kids time to be with him. Sleep with him and then I think we need to let go sometime soon. I'm afraid his swallowing is belaboring for him and he will choke. He's also very dull.

Thank you for the update. I am so sorry to hear that he has a brain tumor. Unfortunately, these are very common in older dogs.

I am sending cyber-hugs your way as you prepare to say goodbye.

:-(

Dr. Amanda