Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I want to know the special nutritional needs of Standard

Customer Question

I want to know the special nutritional needs of Standard Poodles. I have 2, 9yr. I did home cooking for years,in a life change they had top rated canned/dry food. I am not happy with the results.Being older now I want to prepare the right food in MY kitchen. I am asking for information on right kind of protein, source foods for the minerals and anything you feel I need to know. Some of the books on the subject are too general to be helpful. Thank you so much!! Katherine Hunt
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi. this is Dr. Hill. I understand wanting to make their food because you will have quality control. My recommendation is to use It is a website affiliated with the veterinary school out of California. It is set up so that you can pick your protein and starch, life stage of the animal and note any special medical needs. they put together the additional nutritional requirements and then send it to you. Really, the protein source depends on if your dogs have any allergies. I don't think you can go wrong with organic vegetables either. Please ask any additional questions. I can send you the link to the site.