Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a poodle bichon who is around 13 yrs old Ilove him

Customer Question

I have a poodle bichon who is around 13 yrs old Ilove him dearly. He had most of hhis teeth pulled to dental problems - He has 2 bottom teeth left. Today, my grandson got to close to him when he was eating and he tried to bite him. My duahter who is a nurswe practioner saw what happened and told me I either need to find a new home for him or have his other teeth pulled. My daughter and son inl aw and grandchild are al living with me right now. What do I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 8 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. There is absolutely no reason to pull out his two remaining teeth. It appears that Matza is overwhelmed with all of the people in the house and the uncertainty that children present. It would be best to keep him away from your grandchild, especially when not directly supervised. Your daughter should know better as a nurse to have an unpredictable child about a small dog. Kids can be very scary for animals.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this is the 2nd time (the first about 6 months ago)that he tried to bite him unprovoked He isn't afraid of the child - it's about his food
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't want to get rid of my dog and my daughter is giving me an ultimatum - they move or the dog goes - she has seen a lot of kids In the ED from being bitten by a dog and she is scared

So, then Matza needs to eat away from people. If you don't want to get rid of Matza, then either your daughter moves out or you make some adjustments to Matza's schedule.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thx

Your welcome. I am sorry you are being put in this position. There is a way to make it work. It will just involve changing Matza's schedule and freedoms. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my answer. You can continue posting on this thread, even after rating, for a few days. Take care.